Researchers in New Jersey claim that 30 human babies might have been born with genes from three people: their mother, their [...]
Cross-posted from our friends on Skeptoid.com.
A few weeks ago, a post circulated on Facebook with the headline “Snopes got snoped!” It originated with a group called “Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children.” The group has a noticeable presence on Facebook, with over 400,000 likes and many, many shares of each of their posts. The page [...]
Defend the Woo
1. Learn a bunch of scientific terms. You don’t have to know what they mean–it kinda helps if you don’t–just know what they are. When engaged in a debate, fling them around without remorse. Hopefully this will confuse or intimidate your opponent into submission. Good examples are “variables,” “controlled [...]
Continuing our series of lists on the worst reactions to the Boston attack, we examine four viral claims. The smoke has barely cleared, and while the real search for suspects continues, a large number of people believe they already know who did it. Alex Jones cracked the case less than 40 minutes after [...]
It occurred to me, while researching alleged quotations from historical figures, that for every time someone cites a source for a quote, there are about 10,000 instances where people simply stick the purported author’s name under it with an emdash (—), as though it was a sufficient reference.
This is quite maddening, because even if [...]
I’ve been deluged with unbelievably insane stories this morning. Here’s a quick round-up:
12 million Americans think lizard people run the government. 13% of us think Obama is the “Antichrist.” An Italian scientist claims vaccines make you gay.
Two radio DJs are facing possible felony charges for telling listeners [...]
Have a cause you really hate? Want to discredit it? Well, fortunately for you, there’s History’s Worst Dictators™. Whether it’s banking, corporations, evolution, abortion, gun control, gun rights, atheism, or vegetarianism, these villains can be dredged up whenever you need cast the specter of mass murder on your opponents’ intentions. Just make up a quote, make up a date, [...]
Support The Skeptical LibertarianAny amount is appreciate!
- The World’s First (and Last) ‘Genetically Modified’ Babies
- Snopes, “Liberal Bias,” and Trusting the Internet
- Don’t Let Boston Derail the Discussions on Immigration Reform
- 9 Debate Tactics for Defenders of Pseudoscience
- The 4 Dumbest Conspiracy Claims About Boston
- Incredible: Twitter pinpoints the minute of the attack
- The 6 Worst Media Reactions to the Boston Marathon Bombing
- Fake Quote Files: V.I. Lenin on Inflation and Taxation
Shop for Skeptical Libertarian Swag