This list of President Obama’s “achievements” has been floating around the internet, with various “Obama 2012” slogans attached. I thought I’d take a moment to respond.
1. Got Osama bin laden…check
2. unemployment rate down to 8.5%…check
3. 1.6 million jobs created with no GOP help…check
4. 22 months of job and economic growth…check
5. Ended war in Iraq …check
6. DADT repeal…check
7. Not one tax hike in 3 years….check
8. Same wife for 15 years with no extra marital affairs…check
9. Saved the auto industry which got GM back to the #1 automaker in the world and created 1.5 million jobs…check
10. Assisted in ousting Ghaddafi…check
11. Only active President to receive Nobel Peace prize while in office…check
12. Mortgage modification to prevent home owners from losing their home
13. STILL fighting for middle class families…check
13. 1st president since Roosevelt (GOP) to reform healthcare….check
14. Reformed financial system, first time since FDR…check
Here’s my take:
1. Tripled the number of US troops in Afghanistan.
2. Illegally assassinated an American citizen.
3. Promised that unemployment would NEVER go above 7.9% if we passed his stimulus bill (actually went up to 10%).
4. Added $4.6 trillion of debt in three years.
5. Passed a bill that allows the military to arrest and hold American citizens without charges or trial.
6. Promised to end the Iraq War in 2009 (he’s a couple years late, and left 16,000 Americans in the Baghdad embassy, protected by thousands of private military contractors instead of soldiers).
7. Raised taxes on cigarettes by more than 150%, passed an individual mandate tax penalty, and 21 other new taxes.
8. Illegally violated the Constitution and the War Powers Act by going to war in Libya without Congressional approval.
9. Fired more cruise missiles than ALL other Nobel Peace Prize winners COMBINED!
10. Violated the law when he bailed out General Motors by giving unsecured creditors, like the UAW, preferred treatment over bond holders during bankruptcy.
11. Promised to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center immediately, but instead has kept it fully operational, denied civilian trials to suspects, institutionalized the Bush policy of indefinite detention, maintained the Bush policy of rendition, and even claimed the authority to detain people AFTER they have been acquitted by a court.
12. Promised to end DEA raids on medical marijuana facilities in states where it is legal (didn’t).
13. Increased the pace of deportations by 25% since Bush left office (he’s deporting 400,000 people this year alone).
14. Has overseen attacks, bombings, and interventions in Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Uganda, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan.
15. Promised “no more lobbyists”; appoints lobbyists.
Good job on not having an affair while in office, though. He can shove that in Clinton’s face.
This is just what I could think of off hand. If you have anything that should be included in the list, share this and leave a comment below.